Tuesday, February 27, 2024

OOTD: Day 1 Lunar New Year 2024

 We're already in 2024, y'all!!!

It took entering the Year of the Dragon to kickstart my outfit-documenting energy, but sadly, the heat definitely caused it to fizzle out a lot sooner than I anticipated.

What's a better way for me to ring in the Lunar New Year, if not with bright, saturated shades with metallic details?

T-Shirt: (no label)
Pants: GU
Flats: Birkenstock
Bag: (no label)
Ring: Jean Paul Gaultier

I went out to physical stores and also turned to online stores to look for a red t-shirt with cool or cute dragon designs because it is my zodiac sign, and I was hoping to collect a few pieces.

Yet, it took me forever to even find a decent one, can you believe it?!?!

I thought it was going to be a field day for designers due to the possibilities, but I was so disappointed with the available selections.

Why, you ask?

The dragons are either not the right kind (western dragons have no business on a festive t-shirt, okay?!), not adorable enough, not fierce enough, the wrong colour, unnecessary words or characters, shoddy print quality, etc.

Thankfully, I spotted this one in the men's department at Lotus's, and imagine my luck when I find out it was going for 50% off!

FUN FACT: There are 8 dragons on my t-shirt, swirling together to form the number "8", which essentially stands for wealth and prosperity in our ever-money-lovin' Chinese culture, hahaha.

You may scroll to the last photo to see the print up-close!

I purposely instructed my husband to take this shot, because I needed to show off my super billowy plissé pants!

Sadly, my old stumpy legs couldn't lift high (and long) enough to see the excess fabric in all its glory, but you get the idea.

The pants are actually a rich vermillion shade, but it turned out mostly bright red on photographs.

I love these kind of pants because they are a more functional version of maxi skirts; Uniqlo and GU makes really great pairs with pleats that hold up very well through many machine-washes!

I'd know, because I have another one that I am currently wearing it to death, hehe.

I adore that beaded baguette; it's inspired by a vintage Fendi bag.

The deep blue shade is truly electrifying; it shifts between navy and purple depending on how the light hits.

I thrifted it awhile ago, but didn't dare to wear it out much because of the fear I'd nick it somehow and all the delicate seed beads will unravel in front of me into the deep abyss.

THE HORROR!

You do get a slightly better look at my cocktail ring here as well; it has multiple cream rose pearls in various sizes clustered together.

In true Sammy fashion, I did accidentally scratch some of the pearl finish the last time I wore them out, but thankfully, the damage isn't too obvious.

Here's a selfie to show you a clearer look at the oriental dragon print; they each have printed bodies that are different from one another.

Some of their bodies are actually metallic, which makes it even more awesome!

Also, you get to see a more accurate shade of my lipstick here; it's actually bright orange, but looked brick red in the outdoor photographs.

The hubby and I wanted to feast since it's the festive season, so we headed to our favourite local burger joint for dinner first, then to our favourite Malay Thai place for post-dinner right after!

We then headed to a nearby Starbucks Reserve branch to soak up the bustling atmosphere, although it was a bit too much because there was no sound absorption and it was crazy packed that night.

HOWEVER, the whiff of freshly-brewed coffee, and the husband getting me a tumbler I was eying since Christmas for 30% off was a really pleasant way to end the night.

So that's it for Day 1; check back time to time for Day 2!

No comments: